Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Let us wrap things up!

It is already the Conference Finals of the NBA Playoffs. Well, I think it's time to wrap up my fantasy basketball experience :)

It is an understatement to say that I am disappointed in my first year of playing NBA fantasy basketball. It is because I started my season as the team on top. I was winning all the head to head match-ups and then something terrible happened in the final 2 months of the season. I saw my place in the standings slip from 1st to 3rd and the out of the playoffs. Let's just say things didn't end up the way I'd like it  to be and one way to learn from them is to know how did my fantasy team started to crumble.

Here's how I think it happened:

1. My main man struggled down the stretch!

Paul George did have a hot start during the month of November and December. Then he struggled down the stretch together with his team. It might be due to fatigue or chemistry issues but it certainly played a factor for a late fantasy season meltdown of some owners like me. On the other hand, he is still playing in the playoffs so good luck to you sir!
My main man PG24
2. Of course injuries

Well this is a problem for almost every fantasy team out there although might get extremely lucky and avoid injury to their main players.

The most notable injury for me is when Brook Lopez did go down late in December.
Just look at his stats. He was instrumental for my good start though I managed to get quality players from the waiver wire. It's just hard to replace those coming from Brook.
Brook Lopez 2014 Stats

3. I lacked quality big men (my own failure from the draft)

I still did have quality big men and they are:

Lamarcus Aldridge
Brook Lopez
Nikola Vucevic

Then after those three guys, all of my other players were either wing players or guards. I don't really have a shot blocker except for Lopez until he got injured. Good big men are also useful for having the edge for Field Goal percentage and of course Rebounding.

I attribute my late season collapse for this three reasons. Although it was really my inability to find the balance of players that would carry my team to the playoffs. Well at least I learned a lesson during my first year as a fantasy basketball GM. (Next post topic :)

Looking forward to the next season. :-D


Image courtesy of:
Bleacher Report, ESPN






No comments:

Post a Comment